One of the prime reasons that rooibos tea (also called "red tea" for its color) is gaining popularity quickly is because the tea's numerous health benefits. Every day researchers conduct new studies to determine the benefits of rooibos tea, and what they are discovering is amazing. Called the new "wonder tea," rooibos has many of the same health benefits of green and white teas while lacking the negative caffeine and tannins associated with those teas.
Health Benefits of Rooibos Tea
Though benefits of rooibos tea are numerous and varied, most tea enthusiasts believe that the most significant is the health benefits associated with drinking rooibos tea. Rooibos tea contains extremely high levels of antioxidants, powerful substances that fight free radicals in the bloodstream and keep bodies healthy and strong.
Some of the best benefits of rooibos tea are:
- Protection against cancer - The antioxidants in rooibos tea have been shown to increase the productivity of carcinogen-detoxifying enzymes, as well as protecting cell proteins, cell fats, and DNA.
- Improvement of immune system - Rooibos tea's effective combination of antioxidants and important minerals gives your immune system a boost, which means that you'll be able to fight off any illnesses in an efficient manner.
- Reduction of insomnia, tension, headaches and irritability - As a tea with no caffeine, rooibos drinkers have found that enjoying a cup before bed has helped to relax them and relieve any tension to allow for a great night of sleep. By helping to normalize tea drinkers' sleep habits, rooibos often reduces headaches and irritability.
- Stronger bones and teeth - With high levels of antioxidants and minerals like manganese, fluoride and calcium, rooibos tea promotes good bone growth, and helps to keep teeth nice and strong.
- Relief from colic and stomach cramps - Rooibos tea is sometimes called "the mother's miracle" because its antioxidants makes the tea an anti-spasmodic agent, which relieves stomach cramps and lessens colic in infants. Just mix this natural, decaffeinated beverage with milk and your baby will soon stop suffering from stomach pain and sleep easily.
Ever since its first discovery several centuries ago, rooibos tea drinkers knew that this herbal drink had medicinal powers. As researchers demystify rooibos tea, subjecting it to studies to determine exactly what health benefits it provides, they too are continually astounded by the wide range of health benefits associated with drinking rooibos tea. There are many more benefits of rooibos tea ready to be explored, but even if the amazing health perks are not enough to make rooibos tea your favorite tea drink, its sweet, nutty flavor is certain to please.