Rooibos Tea as Health Supplement
Rooibos tea is clearly an extremely healthy drink choice because of its high levels of antioxidants, and part of the reason it has so many is due to the tea's wide variety of important minerals. There are so many minerals in rooibos tea that drinking a few cups each day can act as the perfect health supplement for your regular diet. And because it's all natural, you will never have to worry about drinking as much as you would like.
Minerals in Rooibos Tea
A good herbal health supplement often has many different types of minerals in each dose, in order to ensure the proper functioning of our body. While the amount of these minerals may vary depending on the way the tea leaves were harvested, oxidized and fermented, almost all rooibos teas will have these minerals:
- Calcium - Calcium delays the process of decalcification in the body as well as builds strong teeth and bones. A lesser known benefit of calcium is that it regulates the heart beat.
- Fluoride - Drinking rooibos tea will help you maintain good dental health because of the mineral fluoride, which strengthens tooth enamel and prevents decay.
- Iron - Iron is one of the most important minerals the body needs, as it is essential to transport oxygen throughout the blood. People suffering from iron deficiencies often feel lethargic and become easily fatigued, and rooibos tea is an excellent way to increase iron absorption.
- Magnesium - One of the other important minerals in a health supplement is magnesium, which helps to regulate body temperature, build bones, manufacture proteins, and release energy from muscles when needed.
- Potassium - This mineral regulates blood pressure and the heartbeat while protecting against cardiovascular disease and stroke. Without consuming the recommended amounts of potassium, you could experience insomnia, irregular heartbeat and fatigue.
- Sodium - Sodium is necessary for regulating many of the body's functions, particularly in the nerves and muscles. Unfortunately, not all sodium comes in healthy forms (table salt is not usually a good option), but the sodium in rooibos tea is perfectly healthy.
- Zinc - Because it aids in healing wounds and general body growth, zinc is an essential mineral. Currently, many people are experiencing zinc deficiencies due to cooking methods that deplete zinc-rich foods, so every little bit of zinc helps to keep the body in top shape.
With all of these important minerals in one cup of rooibos tea, it's no wonder that some researchers are calling rooibos the next "wonder tea." The variety and amount of minerals in rooibos tea makes it a healthy-and delicious-herbal dietary supplement.